Wednesday, January 23, 2013

That Time Chuck Palahniuk Replied

October, 2006: The Letter I Sent To Chuck Palahniuk

Piss, shit or fuck.

Given that everything has already been done by Jesus or written by Shakespeare, I find myself properly unable to express myself completely. I’d like to blame those two – but I don’t like to take the easy outs the rest of my Nintendo generation seems to want to. I like difficult situations that define instead of easy answers to redundant questions. I hate rote, but work at a university. Figure that one out.

Enough of that. I’m writing to you as you are one of the last great bastions of western intellect and this is my awful, amateur attempt to save my goddamned eternal soul. Since leaving high school in 1999, I’ve felt largely disconnected and dissatisfied with the majority of everything everywhere. At first, I figured it was just my being shat out into the real world – and keeping busy with large quantities of Sam Adams and fucking a bunch of girls kept me from thinking too heavily on it. Now I’m 25, facing down the barrel of 2007 and have done nothing with my life. No higher education, a menial job, no girlfriend. Unless the afterlife smiles upon a respectable film music collection – I’m pushing zilch.

At the risk of sounding like some terrible rock cliché, it all seems for naught. On one hand, I’m pulled toward the extreme of living some impossible romantic lifestyle as some kind of wandering journeyman. Maybe Chris McCandless had the right idea. On the other hand, I also feel the pull to be a working, shitting, drinking human being that is personable and well-known. The mess of the situation is like Travis Bickle, Willy Loman and Holden Caulfield all rolled into one confused mix. I feel singularly like one of the lost masses.

Everyone tells you that you need to have a career and a wife and a fairly nice car. However, I can’t seem to get my hands around it for reasons I don’t understand. Everything is dissatisfying. People my age seem soft-minded and square-jawed. Either I’m too mature for my age or being unsociable is the new NBC Today Show buzzword.

You want goals? How about my being here a year from now. You want recent accomplishments? How about getting through the last year.

I won’t regale you with the boredom that details my everyday life, save to say I haven’t fucked a woman in a year, I spent the majority of my money on music, I regret quitting smoking and am generally fed up with a whole lot of things. I sense a lot of such things in your books – a protagonist as much afraid of the world as he is being the Übermensch (though I don’t think I’m a Nietzsche-esque creation).

Am I missing something? Twenty-five and still living at home. Am I wrong in being dissatisfied with so much? Is it truly too much to ask for some great moment or crisis to occur, just so I can find out what I really am? Where was that wrong turn I made? Is life always hope with empty meaning?

I’m not asking you for answers, per se. A direction, perhaps. You seem to be an anwser man of sorts and I probably seem as lost and disjointed as this letter.

I truly appreciate the chance to write to you, knowing you’ll read this and give me an honest anwser – be it a “fuck you” or a “fuck that”.

Many ernest thanks to you in advanced for your expected reply and the best of everything to you and yours.


======

November 22, 2006: Chuck's Reply

Dear Justin,

Wow... you want answers from me? After I wrote "Survivor"?

You at least have a pretty nice family, or my guess is that you'd have fled at 18. They must make it pretty comfortable, or you'd be out on your own now. Maybe they like keeping you around.

I hope by the time this arrives you're feeling better. Maybe even regretting your letter, a little. Things are always at their worst just before they change. We seem to have to reach a crisis - suffer enough pain - before we'll abandon our old way of being, and risk something really new.

The trick is always recognizing this and holding on. Yes, life is unstable and slippery and gets sucky fast - but that also means it can get better, really fast.

To help tide you over until better times, I'm sending an early Christmas-like stocking package. Here's some retired book tour stories to fill your head with more darkness. And other sundry stuff to make a mess when you get the box open.

At your age, I was terrified. My worst fear was becoming the cautionary tale my family would tell for generations: Whatever you do with your life, don't end up like Uncle Chuck. I could see myself dead in some Marla Singer downtown hotel room. That said, picture yourself dead. You're dead and rotted and everyone's stopped crying and started to forget how you looked. You are gone.

Now, worst case realized, what does that give you the freedom to do? Give yourself ten days to resolve everything - like you would before a suicide. Tell everyone you love or hate them. Give away stuff. Let go of all the shit you hold on to. My bet is that ten days later, you won't die.

Thats just a secret method I use myself. Like doing your own Human Sacrifice. Die without dying. Then get born. And just in case no one else says it: Merry Christmas.

I'll shut up now,
Chuck Palahniuk

No comments:

Post a Comment